The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is a hinge that connects your jaw to your skull. The TMJs allows you to move your jaw up and down and side to side, permitting you to talk, chew, and yawn. Any problems with the jaw joint and the related muscles are known as TMJ disorders. If you experience any of the following, Dr. Randall may treat TMJ:
- Pain in the face, jaw joint, neck and shoulders, and around the ear when you use your jaw
- Jaws that lock open or shut
- Clicking or grating sounds in the jaw joint when you open and close your jaw
- A tired feeling in the face
- Trouble chewing
- A suddenly uncomfortable bite
- Swelling on the side of your face
If you have a TMJ disorder, our dentist may recommend muscle relaxation measures, stress management, and biofeedback. If those treatments are not effective, our dentist may recommend a night guard. TMJ disorders are often caused by teeth grinding, which usually occurs during sleep. By wearing a custom-made night guard, you will protect your teeth and jaws from the effects of teeth grinding.
Feel free to contact Randall Dental Associates - Texas Dentistry in Lewisville or Dallas today to learn more and to schedule your next appointment.